Humakti temples in Pavis
Maps
ChronP14

The secret Jalmari temple

Now the secret Herewardi temple :)

Layout

Above-ground:
From the chronicles ChronP43
"..weaving between tents and partially restored buildings with canvas roofs. Nothing is fully permanent. Yet. Some small additions to walls to make the tent roofing easier, but nothing to demonstrate that this will be their permanent home.. "

"The two men pass round the last corner and stumble into a real kitchen. Here had been some major changes, a hearth had been cleared, walls finished to at least chest high, flat stone slabs had been raised to form tables on which the cooks could work. The fire pits were now a thing of the past."

Area around cleared, some ruined buildings in use. One had a well, now repaired: the Ducks have taken up residence around it.
Illig uses a tent: or more likely, a ruined building with the roof repaired with canvas.
Aelf sleeps underground.
Dori has an "office" underground.

"Tables" is just a term harking back to a time when a proper temple with mess halls was to be found. As I see it tables is now just a term for campfire and log/stone to sit upon. Each cohort has its own fire (possibly even each ten) and generally they don't mingle much and certainly not with the officers of other cohorts.

If there's a real table around, I think the literate members of the Legion are using it for paperwork. There's probably a map-room. All down in the underground section where it's safe. The officers may eat as they work.

Basement:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SwordsDeath/files/111_Restart/jalmar%20temple2.gif
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SwordsDeath/files/111_Restart/jalmar-temple4.gif
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/SwordsDeath/files/111_Restart/Kaarg%20%20Jalmar%20Temple.jpg

Steps down
The slab, once lifted, reveals a narrow flight of stairs leading down into blackness. The steps are narrow, and the roof is low enough that many of the group need to crouch slightly. The stairs curve round, spiralling down. Away from the sun above, it's cool down here - pleasantly so, for many.

The entrance hall
(no longer flooded with explosive gas)
Finally the stairs end, and they come out into a much larger room, with plenty of head space. The light of the swords doesn't let you see as well as if you were in daylight, of course, but this room is easily big enough for another ten to come down without being overcrowded. It's wider than it is long.
The equipment at the sides of the chamber is stacked neatly, put away as if for long storage.

Dori: She's in what's turned into an "office" in the first big room of the underground temple, before you get to the doors that test for Illumination. One of the dividing areas that used to be used as storage is now full of a desk, a lot of paper, a few chairs and a table with a few tankards, jugs, and empty bowls. Vindana seems to be in charge of the paperwork, and is applying the typical Lhankor Mhy filing system to it. Fortunately a clean tankard, a jug of water, and a chair, have not yet disappeared under the piles.

There's a door, or archway, in the wall facing you and swords hanging from the walls to either side of it. A huge stone and an iron grill blocks the entrance, but they now know how to open this.
The stone, which must weigh a ton or more, turns smoothly and slides outward a foot or so, along with the grille. She removes the rapier, and pushes - channels in the floor let the stone and all move sideways, revealing the entrance to the main chamber beyond. The test for Illumination tends to happen as you pass through this door.

Central area
the great hall beyond is lit to Humakti eyes by the Deathlight that shines from the weapons of the two statues that face them. Yes, two, not one.
On the right stands a cloaked warrior leaning on the pommel of a huge bastard sword. His face is hidden within a deep cowl. And that sword looks very familiar...
On the left, another warrior leans on an equally huge mace. No cloak here, and the armour portrayed seems incredibly archaic. The shape of the helmet is odd - in fact, the shape of the head is odd. And... Are those tusks?

There are two more rooms, one at each side, making up the rune. Door to each one. Death rune over the left door. Truth rune over the right one. The sort of decoration that says "this is important stuff, this is." In both cases, Egil as your scout will have a sense of being tested as he touches the doors, and will pass. He can open them.

Armoury
On the Kaarg side of the temple, with a Death rune over the door.
There is a golden statue of a dragonnewt in the middle, with a label round its neck. It's an extremely detailed statue. Very, very life-like. No plinth, it stands directly on the floor. The writing on the label is the same script as the words on the door you opened. There are also runes. Translation:
'1) Do not expose to sunlight
2) Do not bring into contact with water
3) Do not continue midnight feeding ceremonies'
Looks like someone else added a few bits later. That last bit - 'do not feed AT ALL', with multiple underlines. And the last line: 'do not kill'.

Nothing seems out of place. Weapons and armour are neatly stacked, some wrapped for storage. But writing? Yes. As Graylor has realised in the past, Jalmari can be obsessive record-keepers. There's a scroll by the door. On a quick glance - a catalogue. Written in Swordspeech, not Old Pavic, for once. Well, this is the sort of job where the rather specialised vocabulary is ideal. There are also Jalmari codes against some entries.

Library
On the Jalmar side of the temple, with a Truth rune over the door.
There is a golden statue in the middle: a warrior in full plate, about 8.5 foot tall. Very pretty plate - decorated in beautiful, fragile filigrees. There's a plaque on its head. There's a word there in big letters, some more words in smaller letters, and a Fire rune.
"Goldmund uz-friend" 'seek knowledge through the Flame of Truth'

There is a complete set of accounts (though without double-entry book-keeping). They include the volume for the year 1244.

"there may yet be some evidence hidden in the records I can't read - because they're written in Darktongue" says Vern.
Written form of Darktongue?

History

In the Second Age (dates?), a joint temple to Jalmar and to what we think was Kaargan Tor - a troll version of Kargan Tor, with enough overlap with Humakt-Kargan to be recognisable to Aelf.

We assume that at this stage, the architecture was mainly above-ground as per normal.

Balastor's Axe seems to have been put in the armoury for safe-keeping in 1237 (or was it 1239?).
In 1244, a trapped entrance was added to the underground section.
Maker's mark: "Constructed in the year 1244 by Orphus Kir, Master Mason of Pavis, at the request of the cults of Kargan and Jalmar"
It requires the use of the Unbreakable Sword feat to pass.
At some still later stage, the entrance chamber was flooded with inflammable gas: use of a torch for light would kill any intruder, Deathlight would be used by any Humakti.
We don't know when the temple was finally sealed and abandoned.
"The last reports from the temple are in 1237 just before the trolls invaded and we have heard nothing since" says the Sartarite temple.

1550, Pavis reopened, search for the lost temple begins.

There are no comments on this page.
Valid XHTML :: Valid CSS: :: Powered by WikkaWiki